Welcome to St. David's
Growing and Deepening our Spiritual Lives in an Affirming and Inclusive Community
JULY 21, 2019
Worship Service led by Wayne Holst
- Sunday morning, July 14, came very early for the set up and cooking crew for our Stampede Breakfast. By 8 a.m. guests were enjoying pancakes and sausages. prepared by Dave Rider, Yvonne and Peter Adams, Deb Charnuski. Coffee, donated by Brentwood Starbucks arrived in the rear of a volunteer SUV and was soon set out and ready to drink. That was the good news but by 9 a.m. volunteers were making more coffee and by 10 a.m., when the service commenced in the sanctuary, chicken nuggets had been substituted for sausages which had been all too soon consumed. Rev. Dr. Wayne Holst, our Adult Spiritual Development minister along with Brenda Wallace co-led the service. Eileen Kosasih, violin and piano, and Rev. Bruce Clark were guest musicians (along with Eileen's little dog!) Wayne chose for his reflection, "The Good Samaritan Revisited" with scripture selections from Psalm 82 and Luke 10: 25-37, read by Meryl Arnott. Rev. Debbie Stockdale volunteered to look after Faith Chat with the children and she and Mike made Bolo Ties with the young ones at the craft table. July Sacred Service team, led by Kerry Duncan McCartney, was on hand to look after all the details that make the service run smoothly. Kerry led congregational singing, too. Next week Rev. Dr. Wayne Holst will be leading the service. Click on "Sermons" - home page - above for Reflections.
- Jennifer McTavish, Affirm chair, has a blog. http://www.sduc-affirming.com Enjoy the updates. 2019 Affirm United Conference is being hosted by Hillhurst UC, July 26-28, 2019. Participants will need accommodation while in Calgary so if you are able to host some folk during the conference please contact Jennifer.
- Our gratitude overflows for the folks who volunteered to help out with our community Stampede breakfast. Working from early morning, until almost 1:00 p.m., St. David's hosted the wider community. The line up at times wound almost to the C-train station. In the balcony on the July 14, 2019 was PSALT member (Projection, Sound and Light Team), Deb Charnuski. In the office were Kerry Duncan McCartney and Bob Clare.
- We'd like to thank David Layton for taking pictures Sunday mornings. Some of these pictures appear on this website from time to time and if you see one you would like to have, contact Brenda Wallace or Dave Layton to make arrangements. If you have pictures you would like to post on the website, forward same to Brenda Wallace at [email protected]
- Remember loved ones or joyous occasions all year with donations to the Flower Fund. Dedications are placed in the worship folder. The flower committee sends their appreciation.
- As well, if anyone has celebrations or events they wish to have acknowledged in the worship folder, newsletter or on our webpage, please contact the office administrator at the church office at 403 284 2276 or [email protected] no later than Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m.
- PASTORAL CARE: You will have noted the insert in the chair pockets from the Pastoral Care Committee. If you have any pastoral concerns about yourself or others, please complete one of the forms and place it in the container provided at the rear of the sanctuary or contact Rev. Peggy McDonagh at the church office. Rev. Deb Stockdale is serving the St. David's Community until Dec. 31, 2019 in the Pastoral Care Ministry. During the latter part of July, Rev. Murray Laverty will be available to the congregation while Rev. Peggy and Rev. Debbie are on holidays. If you know someone who is in long term care, in hospital or is in need of a visit, please contact the office.
- PRAYER CONCERNS The prayer chain is committed to praying for you in times of crisis for a period of 30 days. Please contact the office or one of the ministers. Thank you to Heather McIntosh who passed out slips of paper to the folks awaiting breakfast in the line up upon which they could write prayer requests.
- Interested in learning more about the events going on at St. David’s, and to share with your friends? Like us on Facebook at SDUC .